Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 ENTERTAINMENT HIGHLIGHTS: NO. 31

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES


On a few different occasions now I’ve been in conversations where I’ve confessed my love for my favourite movie (The Shawshank Redemption) or my favourite television show (The West Wing) and someone’s made a comment to the effect of “that’s a very mainstream choice for a critic”. The implication being that critics should only love what everyone considers to be high art, which has always seemed to me a very odd assumption. Critics don’t necessarily like different films to everybody else; they just put a lot more effort into working out why they like them. Lots of critics might love The Master, but they don’t like it because it’s highbrow (mostly), they like it because they enjoyed engaging with it.


Which is all really the long way around of saying that my favourite film of the year is The Dark Knight Rises and the reason is the same as anyone else’s: it engaged me the most.

It’s hard to describe the level of guts and ambition it took to make The Dark Knight Rises happen. First of all, Christopher Nolan had to commit to making a dark, moody blockbuster that revitalized the movie fortunes of a character long since relegated to the sin bin after Batman & Robin. He cast mostly British actors in the various key roles and once that was a success, cast a moderately known Australian actor as one of the most famous fictional villains of all time. Once The Dark Knight broke all kinds of records, he then followed that up with a Tale of Two Cities inspired epic (featuring more non-American) actors and a little known villain at its centre. Whether you liked the film or not, the reviews were stellar (if tinged with a sense of the third not quite being as good as the second) and the franchise as a whole worked more themes and ideas into its three film run than most blockbuster trilogies combined. As a movie, let alone a trilogy, it is an absolutely spectacular success.

I don’t really care whether this third movie works better than the second (I love them all equally), but I do care whether it makes an appropriate finale to the first two movies, and on that count The Dark Knight Rises achieved beyond anything I could have expected. I’ve seen some accusations that the ending is a cheap cop-out, which I understand is the cynical view, but I can’t view it as anything more than an exclamation point on the underlying theme of the whole franchise: a symbol can long outlive a man. It’s a fascinating theme and one this trilogy addresses with a remarkable amount of depth, clarity and thought. Don’t underestimate this movie or this trilogy just because it has a man running around in a cape at its centre. It’s one of the most momentous achievements of the year - or any year.

No comments:

Post a Comment